Re: Why Does bind Have So Many Dependencies

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 21:54:28 UTC
On Sunday, 17 March 2024 at 15:52:03 -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@freebsd.org> writes:
>
>>   "For every difficult problem there is an answer that is simple,
>>   elegant, and wrong".
>
> For the record, because this is one of my favorite quotes, I would like
> to offer a traceable attribution of the phrase. It comes from
> H.L. Mencken, who first wrote it in the New York Evening Mail in
> 1917. ...
>
>     "Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there
>     is always a well-known solution to every human problem —
>     neat, plausible, and wrong."

Thanks for that.

> I haven't been able to dig up an original source for the version that
> Greg Lehey quotes,

(Re)created just for this message.  As I said at the time,

On Sunday, 17 March 2024 at 17:45:27 +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> Yes, this is a very simple answer.  It reminds me of a couple of
> quotes, *but not well*:

Note the "but not well".  It was a paraphrase: I didn't think that I
would need to supply references, but clearly I was wrong.

It took a bit of searching, but at
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/H._L._Mencken I read a number of
different formulations.  Clearly Mencken liked the quote too.

Greg
Sent from my desktop computer.
reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php