Re: Why Does bind Have So Many Dependencies

From: Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local_at_be-well.ilk.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:52:03 UTC
Taking a completely side t[r]?ack...

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@freebsd.org> writes:

>   "For every difficult problem there is an answer that is simple,
>   elegant, and wrong".

For the record, because this is one of my favorite quotes, I would like
to offer a traceable attribution of the phrase. It comes from
H.L. Mencken, who first wrote it in the New York Evening Mail in
1917. He went on to put it in other essays over another third of a
century. His actual wording at that time was:

    "Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there
    is always a well-known solution to every human problem —
    neat, plausible, and wrong."

I haven't been able to dig up an original source for the version that
Greg Lehey quotes, but I'd love to hear about it if you know it:  that
version is much more on-the-nose here in 2024.

Be well.
        Lowell