Re: Changes (was: nvidia-driver and no update in /usr/ports/UPDATING)

From: Paul Mather <paul_at_gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 01:25:04 UTC
On Apr 12, 2022, at 8:44 PM, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 05:44:28PM +0100, Graham Perrin wrote:
>
>> Did you also rant about the commit message for
>> <https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-sans/commiti
>> /411dc97c6b9b60301edaf6cc0fa04053b0f56dd4>?
>
> No I did not. But I'm I'm sorry I ranted here, truly. It was an emotional outburst.
>
> But trust is an emotional thing. I can't trust ports right
> now to do the right thing. I have many freebsd vms to decomission and replace now with something else, because of this fact. There are some I must not be blindsided like this on.

Have you considered tracking the quarterly ports branch instead, if you want less volatility?  (IMHO, the quarterly branch brings its own set of issues, so this may not be a good solution for you.)

Also, do you have a dev/test environment where you can smoke-test changes before deploying them in production?

Finally, have you considered subscribing to the ports mailing list, where reports of breakage and heads-up on potentially dangerous change often surface (along with solutions/workarounds)?

FWIW, I've also fallen foul of tardy or absent ports UPDATING entries that have left me temporarily broken, so I feel your pain.  I've learned to counter it with more rigorous QA on my part. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.