Re: Changes (was: nvidia-driver and no update in /usr/ports/UPDATING)

From: tech-lists <tech-lists_at_zyxst.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 00:44:47 UTC
On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 05:44:28PM +0100, Graham Perrin wrote:

> Did you also rant about the commit message for
><https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-sans/commiti
>/411dc97c6b9b60301edaf6cc0fa04053b0f56dd4>?

No I did not. But I'm I'm sorry I ranted here, truly.
It was an emotional outburst.

But trust is an emotional thing. I can't trust ports right
now to do the right thing. I have many freebsd vms to
decomission and replace now with something else, because
of this fact. There are some I must not be blindsided
like this on.

I accept stuff changes, having used freebsd and the ports
collection since 1997. I can and have done when needs
be work with and round issues with PRs, and I am very
grateful for both in ports and src to have this great
ecosystem provided by volounteers.

But if you've read this thread, you will understand it wasn't
about any one port. It was about not updating UPDATING when
a port changes name (in this example). It's not a bug.

To avoid the issue requires hardly any work from the committer,
if it is indeed the committer who would update this file
(I don't actually know, it might be another department or group).

Just a note at the top of the file in /usr/ports/UPDATING.

Ideally before an update is committed.

I see there is still no note in UPDATING for nvidia-driver
in ports-579962.

This means that anyone with PORTS_MODULES+=x11/nvidia-driver
in their /etc/src.conf who updates their stable/13 world/kernel
and who has eg a GeForce (640 for example) will not be able to
load xorg when their system reboots. Because the wrong kernel
driver was compiled. Because the name change wasn't in UPDATING.
--
J.