Re: libinput recognizies my keyboard, but not its arrow keys

From: Gary Jennejohn <garyj_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:38:08 UTC
On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:20:08 -0500
William Bulley <web@umich.edu> wrote:

> I have new system H/W running FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE (from January 4th)
> and I have x11/Xorg running successfully on an AMD Radeon WX 3200
> graphics card.
>
> The configuration for my keyboard on this new system is as follows:
>
>   Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier      "Keyboard0"
>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
>         Driver          "libinput"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "Chicony PFU-65 USB Keyboard"
>   EndSection
>
> The keyboard works just fine, but the arrow keys do not work.
>
> I have these ports installed:
>
> xorg-7.7_3
> xorg-server-21.1.11_1,1
> libinput-1.25.0
> xf86-input-libinput-1.3.0
>
> On an older FreeBSD 13.2-STABLE system (with the same ports installed)
> the same keyboard works just fine and the arrow keys respond as well.
>
> The configuration for my keyboard on the older system is as follows:
>
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier              "KeyboardDefaults"
>         MatchIsKeyboard         "on"
>         Option                  "XkbModel"      "Chicony PFU-65 USB Keyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Note the lack of any "Driver" keyword.  I assume it is using the "kbd" driver.
>
> I can supply contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log files if necessary.
>
> I would like my arrow keys to work on the new system.  Can anyone help me out?
>
> Thank you in advance.

I have this keyboard also:
ukbd0: <Chicony PFU-65 USB Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.02, addr 2>
and I'm also using libinput.

I've used this keyboarad for many years with several Xorg versions.

But I have never used Section "InputClass" for any keyboard I've ever
had and all keys on my PFU-65 work correctly.

This is the trace emitted in Xorg.log.0:

[ 212.246] (**) System keyboard multiplexer: Applying InputClass
"libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 212.293] (**) AT keyboard: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 212.293] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[ 212.299] (**) Chicony PFU-65 USB Keyboard: Applying InputClass
"libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 212.299] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Chicony PFU-65 USB Keyboard'

Maybe you could try commenting out the InputClass entry and see what happens.

--
Gary Jennejohn