Re: Issues with Chromium/Vulkan after upgrading vulkan to 1.2.190

From: Pete Wright via freebsd-x11 <freebsd-x11_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 21:20:45 UTC

On 9/6/21 11:37 AM, Jan Beich wrote:
> Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org> writes:
>
>> hey there -
>> i am having an issue running chrome on an i915 intel system under
>> current after upgrading my vulkan packages to v1.2.190.
> Upgrading from which version? v1.2.189 or earlier one?
> Besides, Chromium 92 doesn't enable Vulkan renderer by default.
thanks for your response here Jan.

the upgrade was from v1.2.189 - the hint about chrome not enabling
vulkan by default was what i needed to get chrome working again.  i
enabled it a while back when testing, so for now i've disabled it and
chrome is loading fine now.
>> $ vulkaninfo
>> ERROR at
>> /wrkdirs/usr/ports/graphics/vulkan-tools/work/Vulkan-Tools-1.2.190/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:248:vkGetPhysicalDeviceSurfacePresentModesKHR
>> failed with ERROR_UNKNOWN
> Did you try to reboot? Sometimes GPU is wedged without triggering GPU reset.
> Does vulkaninfo and vkcube-display work fine on KMS console (e.g., ttyv0)?

after i verified disabling vulkan in chrome i quit X and verified
vulkaninfo works fine via a KMS console.  i've attached the output of
that to this email.

<snip>
> For debugging the following may provide some clues:
>
> $ vidcontrol -s 1 </dev/ttyv0 # or Ctrl+Alt+F1
> $ sysctl kern.msgbuf_show_timestamp=1
> $ sysctl hw.dri.debug=$((0x01 | 0x02 | 0x04 | 0x08 | 0x10 | 0x20 | 0x80 | 0x100))
> $ vulkaninfo
> $ sysctl hw.dri.debug=0
> $ sysctl kern.msgbuf_show_timestamp=0
> $ dmesg | sed -n '/\[drm/,$p' >/tmp/vulkainfo.drm-debug.log

i should have some cycles tonight to provide this additional info, for
now as i mentioned above i have attached the output of vulkaninfo.  this
is one of those hybrid nvidia/i915 systems (as you can see in the
output) - but i only load the nvidia kmod so that gpu get's spun down to
save power.

-pete

--
Pete Wright