Re: wireless interface does not come up on boot

From: marco <freebsd-wireless_at_lordsith.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 16:17:18 UTC
On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 09:26:28AM -0600, you (John J. Rushford) sent the following to [freebsd-wireless] :
> Greetings,
>
> I've properly configured wpa_supplicant to join an
> AP in my home and I have the following options in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> wlans_iwlwifi0="wlan0"
> ifconfig_iwlwifi0="WPA DHCP"

> The interface does not come up after booting the laptop.  In
> troubleshooting I've found that I can manualy bring the interface up
> using the following commands:
>

> # ifconfig wlan0 up scan
>
> # wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf &
>
> # dhclient wlan0
>
> Once I bring up the interface, everything works as expected.  I'm
> composing and sending this email from the machine now that I've manually
> brought up the interface.

Can you please show the ifconfig output after boot plus kldstat output?
Could it be you perhaps need to add a 'create_args_wlan0 statement to
rc.conf(5)?

I currently use: create_args_wlan0="regdomain ETSI country NL authmode WPA powersave" where iwm(4) is the parent interface.

I'm using lagg(4) with failover with laggports em(4) and wlan(4) so my
config is a bit different but for the laggports I have a
create_args_iface  in rc.conf(5)

> I have no idea, why the interface does not come up automatically
> following a boot.  I've noticed errors loading up firmware for the
> adapter and was wondering if this could be throwing off the timing
> during boot?

Couldn't say but sounds plausible.

--
Marco van Lienen -- FreeBSD enthusiast