Re: iwlwifi: i7260 does not load firmware properly/wifi not working

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 13:22:51 UTC
On Tue, 22 Mar 2022, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:

> There is a lot of reasons for having drivers compiled into the kernel
> or loaded by loader(8), for me one is to have a small mfsroot (either
> embedded or not) without any kernel modules.

Yeah, I have those myself plenty.  Even then I can often load
drivers after the facts from e.g. NFS root, or the partition holding
/boot/kernel mounted ro.  But those are "custom" setups.

> I'd argue that if a driver can't be loaded via loader or compiled into
> the kernel it's a bug that we have to fix (and yes I know this is the
> case for DRM).

Wireless drivers can still be loaded from loader;  in those cases
people just need to load the appropriate firmware manually as well.

What I am trying to say is that it should just not be the default
as most users on a laptop or desktop don't actually need the driver to
get to multi-user.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7