Re: 8265 / 9560 problems + 7260 + AX200

From: J.R. Oldroyd <fbsd_at_opal.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:50:21 UTC
On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 06:24:48 +0900 Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:03:00 -0700
> Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

I was about ready to email to say that my 8265 has run with 100% stability
for a week now when, unfortunately, last night I also had a firmware crash.

Boot was at	2022/04/08 14:22.
Crash at	2022/04/15 04:12.
So, 6d 14h of uptime.
Not bad!

At the time of the crash, the log shows the interface going down, then
wpa_supplicant trying to reassociate several times over 12 seconds, then
the detection of the firmware error.

A netif restart brought it straight back up.

Kernel is 13.1RC2 from Apr 8th.

I can send you the log if it helps, Björn.  It looks similar to ones I have
sent before.

I looked at the driver...

I see that iwl_drv_stop() -- which I presume gets called when the interface
goes down -- it unloads the firmware and then iwl_drv_start() calls
iwl_request_firmware() to reload it.  Remember we talked about the firmware
not loading if iwm had already been there?  Both of these discoveries
suggest that either the firmware unload routine isn't clean or that the
firmware load needs to do some sort of reset to get things into a known
state for the load.

I'll spend some time later today looking through that code to see if I can
help figure out what is going on.

	-jr