Re: iwlwifi/LinuxKPI 802.11 update

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 01:32:54 UTC
On Sat, 26 Mar 2022, Krzysztof Piecuch wrote:

> bad things:

That's the stuff I need to know ;-)

> - the wifi interface would go up -> down -> up on boot? Not sure if I'm
>  reading dmesg correctly, please double-check it.

Can be, check wpa_supplicant log for deauth/deassoc.  It's likely
iwlwifi reporting beacon misses and pulling us down again.

I have not yet figured out why the firmware sometimes thinks this way; an
initial though because of updating multicast filters thrice did not reliably
hold up.  It's an annoyance at the moment and on the radar.

> - there are dips in wifi speed. I downloaded over 100MB data though pkg
>  update (see attachment logs). My download speed would go to 2MBps,
>  2.1MBps, 2.2MBps, hit 2.4MBps, stay there for a while and then dip to
>  <1MBps only to jump back to 1.8MBps or higher. 2.4MBps is the expected
>  upper limit as my ISP can't go any faster.

pkg updates over the Internet are likely not a good measure.  This
could be anything from a packet loss on the internet and TCP recovery to
something else using the same spectrum.

I think speed will be more interesting to investigate once we get beyond g/a.

> -----8<-------------8<-------------------
> kld_list="${kld_list} if_iwlwifi i915kms"

if_iwlwifi should not longer need to be there on a recent system
either (but doesn't harm).

> if_iwlwifi_load="YES"

Doesn't belong into rc.conf (would be loader.conf) but shouldn't be
there either.

> wlans_iwlwifi0="wifi"
> create_args_wifi="wlandev iwlwifi0"
> ifconfig_wifi="WPA SYNCDHCP"

Lots of health,
Bjoern

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7