Re: Should changes in src/usr.sbin/bhyve/ trigger an llvm rebuild?

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 15:46:03 UTC
On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 07:30:53AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> The following two sequences are very different:
>
> make buildworld
> make buildworld
>
> vs.
>
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> make buildworld
>
> The installworld can update a lot of non-source
> files that were used to do the first build world.
> META_MODE notices such updates and does rebuild
> activity because of them.

First: Thank you for replying & suggesting the above.

That said, one of the machines in question is my local "build machine" --
and for it, in addition to in-place source updates, I also do (weekly)
updates of my "production" machines (at home).

And for that case, the production machines mount the builder's /usr/src
and /usr/obj (via NFS) read-only.  And without complaints of attempts to
scribble on read-only stuff. :-}

So if "make installworld" messes with anything that META_MODE cares
about ... that would appear to be somewhat surprising.

Mind, I've been wrong before, and I do intend to live long enough to be
wrong again.... :-)

> One more sequence:
>
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> update some sources
> make buildworld
>
> For that the installworld may be the larger
> change compared to the source updates as far
> as contributions to rebuild activity go.
>
> This sort of thing is likely what you had
> happen.

Hmm....  Thanks again.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
Do these ends really justify those means?

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.