Re: FreeBSD Errata Notice FreeBSD-EN-23:16.openzfs

From: Paul Mather <paul_at_gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 14:46:53 UTC
On 2 Dec 2023, at 7:11 pm, Mark E. Mallett <mem@schmem.com> wrote:

> Might I also ask (or say):

[[...]]
> Third, it says the binary upgrade will result in 12.4-RELEASE-p8.  When
> I do the freebsd-update, the result according to uname is
> 12.4-RELEASE-p6. Thinking that perhaps I have to do it again, I am told
>    No updates needed to update system to 12.4-RELEASE-p8
> and yet uname -a still says 12.4-RELEASE-p6. Somebody might ask if
> I did a reboot, and yes.

Sometimes a security advisory or errata notice affects only the userland and doesn't cause the kernel version to be bumped.  The "uname" output you're seeing is only the kernel version.  If you want to see both kernel and userland versions you should use "freebsd-version".  The "-k" flag will show userland and "-u" the userland.  I would imagine in your case "freebsd-version -u" is 12.4-RELEASE-p8.

Cheers,

Paul.