Re: igc problems with heavy traffic

From: mike tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 19:09:03 UTC
On 8/10/2022 2:14 PM, mike tancsa wrote:
> On 8/10/2022 1:47 PM, Pieper, Jeffrey E wrote:
>>
>> You could try disabling EEE (Energy Efficient Ethernet). Something
>> like: sysctl dev.igc.0.eee_control=0.
>

> Adding
>
> hw.igc.eee_setting=0
>
> in /boot/loader.conf seems to take ok and the NIC works on bootup. I
> will run some stress tests with it set. Thanks!

I tried with just that setting and not adjusting the FC and still got
the link bounce fairly quickly on the 2.5G xover connection. I was using
cat 5 but changed the cable to cat 6 to see if that makes a difference.
Re-running the test now with cat 6

I setup 4 servers

A----B----C----D

A and D are just 2 random servers. B & C are the 2 machines with the 4
igc NICs. B &C and linked on igc1 via xover and A & D were on xover
cable to igc2 of B &C

192.168.20.2   ---------- 192.168.20.1
192.168.21.1--------------192.168.21.2
                                           10.1.255.209 -----10.1.255.168

Other odd thing I noticed was when I rebooted and set the eee settings
to 0 I lost the link between 21.1 and 21.2 on igc2. Whats odd however is
that if I change it so that they both go through a switch instead of
xover cable, there does not seem to be a problem with the link. Same
cable to the switch seems fine so not sure if something else is going on
at the link layer.

Only the link between the 2 igc nics is 2.5 G and thats still on xover.
I am running iperf3 between 192.168.20.2 and 192.168.21.2.

     ---Mike