Re: Upgrade 8.4-STABLE to 14-STABLE

From: Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 07:52:40 UTC
On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 1:01 AM Lowell Gilbert <
freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> Karl Vogel <vogelke@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 02:56:05AM -0500, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> >> Is there a way to upgrade 8.4-STABLE to 14-STABLE, or even change it to
> >> 14-RELEASE?
> >
> >   Seriously, if it's possible don't even try.  Make (and test) a good
> >   backup, do a clean install from scratch, and restore your old stuff.
>
> It sounds like the system has been exposed to the Internet without
> updates for about ten years. If that is the case, I wouldn't trust it
> anyway, so upgrading it to something recent would be silly even if it
> were easy.

The system is exposed to the Internet, yes. However, it's locked down - all
ports except what is necessary - using PF.
It's running a mail server for a SOHO and that's all.
Backing up configs, and installing a recent OS version would take just a
few hours. However, I wanted to see if perhaps someone had cope up with a
novel way that is painless.
Do you remember how we used to do it before?
https://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,