Re: A few questions about using Poudriere

From: Pat <cli_junkie_at_protonmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 23:38:51 UTC
On Thursday, February 15th, 2024 at 19:58, Robert R. Russell <robert@rrbrussell.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:15:21 +0100
> "Dave Cottlehuber" dch@skunkwerks.at wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 15 Feb 2024, at 01:57, Pat wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, and please let me know if this is not the best place to ask
> > > some questions about Poudriere.
> >
> > Welcome and it’s a fine choice of list
> >
> > > I am learning about Pouderiere, and started with what I thought
> > > would be a simple package. But I have run into something somewhat
> > > surprising. I ran:
> > >
> > > poudriere options -j 01amd64 -p default ftp/curl
> >
> > > expecting to have to configure a few options for curl and be done.
> >
> > try adding ‘-cn’ options, it will not descend recursively
> >
> > > BTW, I did see in POUDRIERE(8) this hint:
> > >
> > > As a starter, you may want to copy an existing /var/db/ports/ to
> > > /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/options.
> > >
> > > but that was afterwards. Would that have saved me some of this
> > > work?
> >
> > This helps if you’ve been using ‘make config’ with a local ports tree
> > already instead of via poudriere
> >
> > > Finally, if I now build curl, is it really going to build 192
> > > additional packages? That seems awful heavy for something that is
> > > supposed to be a simple tool for transferring data.
> >
> > Probably not, but curl has a surprisingly large amount of optional
> > dependencies.
> >
> > A+
> > Dave
>

> Buildtime dependencies often include tools for rebuilding extra
> documentation or example code. Many of these tools often have
> dependency trees with several dozen entries by themselves. You can try
> disabling options like DOCS or EXAMPLES and that should reduce the size
> of the build tree. If you never go looking into /usr/local/share/doc or
> /usr/local/share/examples, then disabling those options should be
> helpful.
>
> The runtime dependency tree is generally much smaller and pkg will only
> install them.
>
> -- Robert

That does make a lot of sense, and explains why some of those options
menus consisted of just one or both and nothing more. The ones that I did
deselect were ones that I figured I would not bother with locally. But I do
make use of both DOCS and EXAMPLES on occasion so having them there will
be important.

Thank you for the information. I did build curl today and it did not build
192 packages. :)

Regards,
Pat