putty from Windows to FreeBSD 14.0 says "Server refused our key"

From: Graham Menhennitt <graham_at_menhennitt.com.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 06:03:26 UTC
Hello list,

I have a box that I recently upgraded to FreeBSD 14.0. It all appears to
be working ok except for one thing. When I attempt to use Putty on
Windows to connect to it using SSH, I get an error "Server refused our
key" and it drops back to password authentication. I have not modified
sshd_config from the default.

I've used this same key for many years from Putty and from other FreeBSD
boxes. It still works successfully from FreeBSD 13 to FreeBSD 14, but
not from Putty to FreeBSD 14.

In auth.log on the FreeBSD 14 box, I can see that it says
"userauth_pubkey: signature algorithm ssh-rsa not in
PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms [preauth]". So, I guess that I could fix this
by modifying sshd_config, but I don't understand why it works from
FreeBSD 13 but not Putty.

Something that may be related (but I'm not sure). When I use password
authentication from Putty, it appears that it doesn't read my .bashrc.
When I login from FreeBSD 13, it does read .bashrc.

Does anybody have any clues, please.

Thanks in advance,

     Graham