Re: rebuilding using source

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 00:10:23 UTC
On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 12:52 PM Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>         I have a system running:
>
> FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #0 main-f0a15aafcb
> Mon Oct 31 08:19:54 EDT 2022
> amd64
>
>         I want to bring current using source.
>         In the past, I did so using the instructions at the bottom of
> src/UPDATING.
>         Now, however, there's this:
>
>         To rebuild everything and install it on the current system.
>         -----------------------------------------------------------
>         # Note: sometimes if you are running current you gotta do more than
>         # is listed here if you are upgrading from a really old current.
>
>         But I also remember a semi-recent thread (may have been on
> current@) that calls into question whether this is still the correct
> procedure to use.
>         1) did that thread ever come to a decision?
>         2) if src/UPDATING is stil authoritative?
>         3) if so, is this system so old I "gotta do more"?
>         4) if so, where do I find instructions?
>

>                         Respectfully,
>

>                                 Robert Huff

My recollection is that UPDATING is canonical and that the Handbook has or
soon will be updated to match. One unresolved issue was the place of
"etcupdate -p" in the order. While most said that it needs only to be run
before installworld, I pointed out that the man page says before
installkernel. It seems unlikely that it will ever matter, but the claim
that the only files currently checked only impact installworld seems bogus
to me as the list might change at some point in the future and the idea of
changing instructions down the line is really POLA violation.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com