Re: I am sick and tired of the poor quality of documentation on FreeBSD

From: Paul Procacci <pprocacci_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:12:27 UTC
On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 2:51 PM <iio7@tutanota.com> wrote:

> Take a look at how it's done on OpenBSD! Take a look at have it's done on
> Arch Linux!
>
> When there is something that is going to break something during an
> upgrade, you get timely information and a step by step instruction in what
> to do - BEFORE you do it!
>
> Something like this doesn't help!
>   Pool 'zroot' has the bootfs property set, you might need to update the
> boot code.
>   See gptzfsboot(8) and loader.efi(8) for details.
>
> I might need to update the boot code!? WTF does that even mean?
>
>  I never touched any boot code during installation so I don't even know
> what that is! And reading those man pages did NOT help me in any way.
>
> So now I got a box that's borked with this beautiful message after
> updating the zroot pool:
>
> ZFS: unsupported feature: com.delphix:head_errlog
> ZFS: pool zroot is not supported
> Can't find /boot/zfsloader
> Can't find /boot/loader
> Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel

You failed to, in your own words, "get timely information and a step by
step instruction in what to do - BEFORE you _did_ it!"

You're now suffering with the errors that you cause upon yourself.

Quite literally 1000's upon 1000's upgrade their machines daily I'd
gather.  You are the odd man out.  See the problem here?

~Paul

--