Re: Bye, bye, bash

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 02:08:49 UTC
Hi,

I'm a Linux user, but that's not the reason why I'm in favour of making
bash the login shell. By using some percent of all available bashisms
and in addition to /usr/bin/ls using https://github.com/Peltoche/lsd ,
https://github.com/trapd00r/ls--/ and/or similar ls replacements, the
command line with bashisms is my favourite file manager. IMO in almost
all cases it's way better than all GUI and ncurses alike file managers.
Bash usually is easier, faster and more secure to use, than SpaceFM,
Rodent, mc and that alike, not to mention file managers of bloated
desktop environments.

For scripts, which are essentially small programs, bash OTOH in almost
all cases is too slow, bashisms aren't human readable, not to mention
that bash scripts are not portable.

Regards,
Ralf