Re: List managers [Was: Link usability]

From: Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 19:26:58 UTC
On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 11:49 PM Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On 3/21/23 12:22, possessor.assizer305@aceecat.org wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 07:49:11PM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
> >
> >> Ah, right.  Yet another consequence of the regressive move from
> >> mailman plus pipermail to mlmmj is loss of clickable links in the
> >> archived messages.  Duh!
> > Out of curiosity, what was the rationale for the move?
> >
> > My opinion:
> > Mailman has its warts but it's ubiquitous and well suited for
> > a world where almost everything has to be done in the browser
> > for $REASONS.
> >
> my understanding is that mailman was tied to python2, and the next
> version of mailman (v3 iirc) that supports python3 is incompatible with
> the previous version.  i think it also had a bunch of other
> shortcomings/issues.  so i suspect the lift to use mlmmj was easier than
> moving to mailman v3.
>
> i agree its an unfortunate situation, but its i think it would be
> irresponsible to rely on python2 for such critical infrastructure.

I have certain scripts that rely on Python2.7. See
https://www.kictanet.or.ke/mail-trends/.
But I run Mailman3 on several servers - both Linux and FreeBSD.
The FreeBSD one is at http://mm3-lists.kictanet.or.ke/
The Mailman2 list which is non-functional can be seen at
https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet.

If you feel stuck, I am here to help you migrate :-)

PS: I could not get myself to learn mlmmj , sympa or ecartis. Not even
majordomo.
Mailman is the best.
Actually, if the FreeBSD project allowed it, I would migrate all their
lists to Mailman3 instead.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,