Re: Current swap configuration: best practices?

From: Paul Mather <paul_at_gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 13:33:48 UTC
On Feb 8, 2023, at 7:07 AM, Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:

> On 2/7/23 19:48, Derek (freebsd lists) wrote:
>
>> Using ZFS:
>> * enabling mirror swap will break crash dumps
>
> Ugh!
> Why so? Any pointer?
> I've got several gmirror-based swap partitions: these boxes did not crash in a long time, but I'd expect a coredump, should that happen...
> Any way to test this, instead of waiting for it to happen?

I also have gmirror-based swap partitions set up and have not had problems with crash dumps being generated after kernel panics.

There is a special note in the gmirror(8) man page on setting up crash dumps.  It's near the end of the man page (on my 13-STABLE system), and begins with the sentence, "Doing kernel dumps to gmirror providers is possible, but some conditions have to be met."

Cheers,

Paul.