Re: Problem using vi in freebsd-update from 13.2 to 14.0

From: Karl Vogel <vogelke_at_pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 01:53:58 UTC
On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 10:21:11AM -0500, Roger Marsh wrote:

> When doing the merges presented by freebsd-update I have somehow got into
> 'ex input mode' and hitting <Escape> repeatedly does not get me back to
> command mode.

  That drives me nuts.

> So, how do I get out of 'ex input mode' in my case?  Or can I just kill
> the session running freebsd-update and restart freebsd-update assuming
> it will pick from where it had got to?

  Something's hosed your terminal so that pressing escape doesn't send
  the actual escape character (octal 33).  Two things I'd try:

  1.  Press Control-V Control-Left-Bracket ([) which should send the
      correct character and let you escape.

  2.  If that doesn't work, can you fire up a separate ssh session and
      kill just the running VI?  Your terminal will really be hosed now,
      so when you get back to your prompt, type "stty sane".

  I'm not sure what interrupting or restarting freebsd-update will do.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for anyone but myself

Keep your booger hook off the bang button.
                      --Firearms safety instructor on Reddit, 30 Nov 2023