Re: Sendmail on 14-RELEASE

From: William Dudley <wfdudley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:40:53 UTC
I realize that I'm asking the wrong people this question, but what is the
point of "replacing" sendmail with dma?

From this: https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=a67b925ff3e5, which is
referenced from the release notes for 14

"dma accepts mail from a local Mail User Agent (MUA) and delivers it
locally or to a smarthost for delivery. dma does not accept inbound
mail (i.e., it does not listen on port 25) and is not intended to
provide the same functionality as a full MTA like postfix or sendmail."

So, why?  It's not a replacement for sendmail in any sense at
all, as it can't actually receive mail from outside the machine.

If one runs a FreeBSD mail server, one still has to keep sendmail or postfix
or some *real* MTA running, and now there's an extra step, to disable
"dma".

What's the point?

Bill Dudley
New Jersey, USA

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.