Re: Docker

From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra_at_tundraware.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:10:16 UTC
On 4/17/23 07:52, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> With Docker and Kubernetes it is straightforward to do this sort of thing
> with rather fewer and less skilled admins.

I agree with the spirit of your point but not that last bit.  We do want
to get to the point where we can "treat servers like cattle" but
docker and K8s don't really do that on their own.  You have to do a ton
of engineering to make that environment deployable, scaleable, self-annealing,
observable, etc.

Some years ago, I worked at a place where we brought a brand new
mission critical system up on K8s.  This was a high complexity
application with lots of legacy integration corner cases.  We
implemented it in 8 months and then spent another 5 months
hardening.  The tuning and hardening of the K8s and cloud environment
it runs on continue to this day.

It's easy to experiment and fiddle around with docker, it's much
harder to build industrial grade solutions.  Docker doesn't absolve
us of the engineering discipline required to build really complex
systems.  Then again, no technology or process and eliminate
thoughtful engineering ...