Re: Docker

From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra_at_tundraware.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 02:20:45 UTC
On 4/16/23 20:51, Paul Pathiakis wrote:
> I'm sorry.... I almost ROFL when I read that FreeBSD is used 'less' in the industry....  You 'like' both Linux and FreeBSD...
> However, you don't seem to understand the philosophical differences in the development of the two projects.

You're kidding yourself (as all true religious zealots do).  BSD is my preferred OS. I've been using it since
well before there was even a notion of BSD386.  But to claim it's in wide use in commercial settings
is a particular form of hallucination.   I have been in many, many, many data centers as a consultant
and as an employee.  There I find Windows, SunOS, AIX, and Linux in abundance.  BSD shows up only as an embedded
system in things like NAS systems.  In all the DCs I've ever been in, among the many
thousands of servers I've surveyed, I think I've found maybe one instance of a freestanding BSD server.

Yes, there are companies like Apple using a desktop derived from BSD but that's not what the users actually
experience unless they choose to run at the CLI.  The users experience some version of the Aqua UI and all the
cruft that goes with it. Yes, companies Apache and (in the past) Hotmail use BSD, but c'mon, that's rounding
error in the scheme of things.  Oracle, Google, and AWS clouds are all built on linux and represent
hundreds of thousands or even millions of payloads.  Even Azure has grudgingly made room for this.
Go try to find a mainstream cloud vendor with a standard BSD image available.  The only one I ever found
was Digital Ocean and they're relatively small.

Linux and Windows dominate the server room and industry by a huge margin.  This is observably true, not
some wild opinion.  Do I wish this were no so. Yes.  Do I think the FreeBSD community has a superior
release disciple and overall higher quality quality.  Certainly.  But I cooperate with Reality, I don't
engage in wishful thinking to make professional choices.  You only have to look at the number of jobs
available for Linux experience vs. those that name BSD in any form to get a clue where the center
of gravity is.

Every few years someone starts another one of this ridiculous "My OS, Is Better Than Your OS"
arguments which are fundamentally useless.