Re: Installing FreeBSD as a guest in VirtualBox (was: concerns about install freebsd)

From: Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri <andreas.kahari_at_abc.se>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 09:04:47 UTC
On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 08:04:57AM +0100, Graham Perrin wrote:
> On 29/09/2022 07:28, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri wrote:
> >> …
> >>
> >> I successfully installed oracle virtualbox.
> >> Then landed on this site:
> >> https://freebsdfoundation.org/freebsd-project/resourcesold/installing-freebsd-with-virtualbox/
> >> then I choose 13.1:
> >> https://download.freebsd.org/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/13.1/
> >>
> >> Now, which one should I choose: bootonly.iso or disc.iso or dvd1.iso?
> > A short quote from the page you're reading:
> >
> >          For Virtual Machines, the format you are looking for is the file
> >          ending in -disk.iso as shown abovew.
>

> There is no -disk.iso
>
> I'll request corrections (and an addition) to the Foundation's page.
>
> I do agree with the Foundation's direction to use an installer (to not
> use a FreeBSD-provided VM image).

Just pick the one that they probably mean then, the
FreeBSD-13.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso

Or even the bootonly image.  You're going to set up a VM to try things
out, so I really don't see why you need some authoritative guide to pick
the correct ISO from a directory.  You can always redo if something went
wrong, which is kinda the point with testing in a VM.

--
Andreas (Kusalananda) Kähäri
SciLifeLab, NBIS, ICM

.