Re: Posting Style

From: Polytropon <freebsd_at_edvax.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 11:46:48 UTC
On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 09:04:10 +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday,  6 November 2022 at 14:24:04 -0800, Joe B wrote:
> > What is recommended here on the mailing list?
> >
> > Bottom posting or topo posting?
>
> Neither.  For want of a better term, "interleaved posting".  But the
> terms don't really help.

"Inerleaved and trimmed" maybe... it's worth taking a look
at the mailing list archives and see what posting style is
the typical one, and considering what it the _best tool for
the job_, which posting style adds most benefits to a
question / answer and discussion setting. The mailing list
archives are also a great source of reference, "already
solved problems" and mirrors of discussions already held.
The more the posting style fits the flow of a discussion,
the better it is. Trimming text, adding text at appropriate
places, inserting vertical space - all those things have
their place and use, not just for the discussion at hand
("current discussion"), but also for their future purposes
in the archives ("former discussion"). Content and structure
can be preserved during discussion, and especially technical
topics discussed can use that advantage.