Re: OpenBSD development (was: What is the status of the FreeBSD development processes?)

From: Gökşin_Akdeniz <goksin.akdeniz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 07:14:44 UTC

2.11.2022 08:10 tarihinde Graham Perrin yazdı:
> On 29/10/2022 23:12, iio7@tutanota.com wrote:
>> … In OpenBSD, AFAIK, absolutely no code goes into the project without
>> at least 2 people reviewing it and approving it. …
>
> As far as I know, that's not absolutely true.

I do confirm that statement. OpenBSD has developers with commit
privileges to source tree. The mailing list @tech is for where all
developers discuss and decide. Any one with commit privileges can do
commit patches and source code to the tree as long as it is inline with
project goals. Theo De Raadt is the one who says the last word. obout
what is to be released and not.

But there are a few developers who manages some ports of OpenBSD for
different platforms than AMD64 and i386.

For ports, it works differently. Anyone with commit privileges can
commit "make files" and "patches" as long as it is posted on @ports and
asked for approval. So list members test the files on local build
systems and if it is ok then it is committed.

There is a work around for that, if necessary. Any one can send patch or
make files for review to maintainers or @ports and may as for
committing. If port maintainer respond with approval it may be committed
to ports tree. If not another port maintainer may approve and  commit
patches and make files to ports tree. This process is called maintainer
time out.

FreeBSD has similar model for development. Developers who has commit
privileges can commit source code, to base, ports and docs. Security
team is responsible for overseeing the security issues. It is like how
OpenBSD works.