Re: Accessing root mail messages from another LAN host via IMAP

From: David Christensen <dpchrist_at_holgerdanske.com>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 21:46:23 UTC
On 5/8/22 14:06, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 11:30 PM David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
> wrote:

>>> Do you actually need/want the root mail to be stored on the originating
>>> machine? I have a variety of servers on my home network and they all
>>> forward all mail to a central machine using dma(1).
>>

>> Thank you for the reply.
>>

>> At this point, I am looking to start with the simplest solution for one
>> FreeBSD computer.
>>

>> Lucas [1] describes using dma(1).  A local centralized MTA has
>> operations and maintenance advantages, especially if there are many
>> local hosts.  But, first I have to figure out how to build a local
>> centralized MTA (with TLS).  Furthermore, centralization implies "all of
>> your eggs in one basket".  As I expect that I will be breaking and
>> fixing this several times as I learn, decentralized KISS should be easier.
>>

>> David
>>

>> [1] https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#af3e
>

> I am asking for only learning :
>
> To enable communications between local computers ,
> is it not possible to use  NFS supporting communicating programs ?
> If NFS is not suitable , why ?
>

> With my best wishes ,
>
> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System

"Network File System (NFS) is a distributed file system protocol
originally developed by Sun Microsystems (Sun) in 1984,[1] allowing a
user on a client computer to access files over a computer network much
like local storage is accessed. ..."

AIUI electronic mail uses different protocols that NFS, so they are not
compatible by default.

That said, the MTA on the server stores messages in a filesystem as does
the MUA on the client.  I supposed you could create a filesystem in one
place for mail storage and have the client and server share it, but the
MTA and the MUA both would need to be designed for shared storage and
both would need to use the same file structures; I doubt sendmail(8) and
Thunderbird have these.  And, then there is reliability and security.

David