Re: running FreeBSD on Notebook

From: Mathias Picker <Mathias.Picker_at_virtual-earth.de>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 14:35:26 UTC
Ludovit Koren <ludovit.koren@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am just wondering, is anybody running FreeBSD on any modern
> notebook?

Hi,

I’m using FreeBSD on Laptops since FreeBSD-10. Most things work,
suspend/resume can be tricky or non-functional.

I’ve used Acer, HP and Thinkpads, Be aware that the newest
cpu/gpu/wlan chipsets might not be supported.

You can test you laptop with a bootable live system on USB like
https://nomadbsd.org/

I never needed a USB-C -> RJ-45 adapter, all my laptops had
ethernet.

You might search in the hardware compatibility list
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.2R/hardware/#ethernet for a
working chipset and then look for an adapter with that chipset,
and/or query the mailing lists
https://www.freebsd.org/search/#mailinglists for the
adapter/chipset.

/ Mathias

--
Mathias Picker
Geschäftsführer

virtual earth Gesellschaft für Wissens re/prä sentation mbH
http://www.virtual-earth.de/           HRB126870
support@virtual-earth.de               Westendstr. 142
089 / 1250 3943