Re: hardware recommendation

From: David Christensen <dpchrist_at_holgerdanske.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 21:51:31 UTC
On 6/28/22 10:21, Robert Huff wrote:

> 	A disk drive on one of my machines is dying.
> 	I'd like to replace it with a _reliable_ (the old one lasted 10+
> years at moderate loads) consumer-grade SATA II or higher drive of at
> least 500 gbytes.
> 	Any particular product lines getting consistantly good reviews?
> 	And what should I avoid like flesh-eating bacteria?

For OS drives, I keep the image small enough to fit onto a single "16
GB" device (HDD, SSD, USB, SDHC) and prefer 2.5" SATA III SSD's.  I have
been running new and used Intel SSD 520 Series 60 GB drives for several
years, and none have failed.

For data, I use 3.5" SATA III HDD's in pairs and add them as mirrors to
ZFS pools.  I have been running new, old model Seagate Constellation
ES.2 3 TB HDD's for several years.  One of ten failed prematurely.

For backup devices, I have been running HGST Ultrastar DC HC310 3.5"
SATA III 6 TB HDD's for about a year.  So far, no problems.

In my SOHO file server, I use the leftover space on the OS SSD as a ZFS
cache for the data pool.  The Media_Wearout_Indicator on this particular
SSD is dropping 1% to 2% per year, which is noticeably faster than every
other OS SSD.

David