Re: hardware recommendation

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 18:15:21 UTC

> On 28. Jun 2022, at 19:40, infoomatic <infoomatic@gmx.at> wrote:
> >On 28.06.22 19:21, Robert Huff wrote
>> A disk drive on one of my machines is dying.
>> I'd like to replace it with a _reliable_ (the old one lasted 10+
>> years at moderate loads) consumer-grade SATA II or higher drive of at
>> least 500 gbytes.
>
> In the light of the link to backblaze, my mail seems quite useless ... I

Hi,

no, your reply is _not_ useless.

1.
All tests and user experiences are useless, since a disk drive product line does change without notice all the times. Exceptions are general pointers such as yours related to CMR vs SMR or HDD vs SSD.

> have had great experience with WD red with conventional magnet recording
> - be warned my number of disks I can compare is much lower ;-) However,
> I would go with a prosumer/enterprise-grade SSD.

2.
Your reply is useful for two reasons.
2.1
For backups I’m using Toshiba P300 drives. Those are cheaper than the WD red, but the colour is red, too :D. My dealer sells two versions of the same product line. One with the CMR and the other with the SMR recording technology. Take an educated guess of which version the P300 are I bought. IOW +1 for CMR.
2.2
In my machine I‘m using the cheapest SATA SSDs that are available with vendor software running on Linux. I donˋt know how compatible or incompatible the Linux software is with FreeBSD. They last probably longer than desktop HDDs, since some of mine are already quite old and still healthy. Toshiba/OCZ/Kioxia currently named Kioxia. A SATA Kioxia 960GB SSD is around 85,- €. So the second +1 for SSD.

Just my 2 Cents,
Ralf