Re: jail.$jailname.conf not directly in /etc/ ?

From: Doug Denault <doug_at_safeport.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:04:34 UTC
On Sun, 20 Feb 2022, Jon Clausen wrote:

> On 2022-02-19 18:46:24 (+0000), doug wrote:
>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Ezjail and iocage put the jail configuration in different places. Perhaps
>> man jail is the answer:
>>
>>     -f conf_file
>>              Use configuration file conf_file instead of the default
>>              /etc/jail.conf.
>
> Ah yes, that works when you (or some script) issue the jail command
> directly.
>
> But since I would like to create/setup/destroy/tear down the jails using my
> own scripts, but leave the start/stop operations to the system rc/service
> framwork, then using the -f flag is not an option, without modifying various
> bits of the system, as you point out below
>
>> I've never done this. I've used the jail command, ezjail, and iocage I've
>> always let the tool choose the location of the jail configuration. Moving it
>> will mean, at a minimum you will have to rewrite the scripts for: starting,
>> stoping, and console. You will also have to do something with /etc/rc.conf.
>
> yeah, nah... this is not how I'd like to proceed. This is much like building
> a bridge to cross the stream, to get the water.
>
>> If it were me, I'd let sleeping jail configs lie :)
>
> That's probably good advice, but I'm not quite done prodding the stuff just
> yet. I see one possible "half way", as I hinted at a minute ago in another
> reply...

Bending systems to our will or going where no one has gone before is a
great trait for sysadmins IMO. Everything learned about the innerads of
FreeBSD will most likely be useful at some point. If however you solve your
problem, 6 months from now you likely will be the only one able to maintain
and/or extend it. Personally I find things like this fun. I've never had a
job, just a fun activity people have paid me to do.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@safeport.com