Re: tunefs(8) changes don't stick

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 21:01:08 UTC
On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:55 PM Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 18/10/2021 20:30, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> …
> > # tunefs -p /dev/nvd0p3
> > tunefs: POSIX.1e ACLs: (-a)  disabled
> > tunefs: NFSv4 ACLs: (-N) disabled
> > tunefs: MAC multilabel: (-l) disabled
> > tunefs: soft updates: (-n)                                 enabled
> > tunefs: soft update journaling: (-j) disabled
>
> …
>
> Probably an obvious question (sorry), are the changes made in single
> user mode?
>
> If you attempt to enable soft update journaling, does it succeed (at the
> time of the attempt)?

All changes are made in single-user mode. Other than foot-shooting mode, I
don't think that you can do much with tunefs(8) unless it's read-only. I
may not have mentioned this, but nvd0p3 is my root. Against better
judgement, root, usr, and var are all on this partition. Also, though I
would not think it relevant, it is EFI boot.

The system is a slightly over one year old Lenovo L-15 (Intel) running
13-STABLE/13-n246941-20f96f21556. The SSD is an NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 512GB
from Sabrent. It was added to the system three months ago. I thought I had
TRIM enabled, but discovered it was not last week when I tried changing the
volume label. Don't care much about the label, but I really want TRIM.

I enabled SUJ. It failed until I deleted the old /.sujournal file left over
from the initial install. It then succeeded. When I set the volume to rw,
it was gone as was TRIM. No .sujournal was created.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com