Re: Proposed ports deprecation and removal policy

From: Hubert Tournier <hubert.tournier_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 01:48:09 UTC
On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 19:26:23 UTC, Xin LI wrote:

> For example, one of my port gets marked as DEPRECATED because a dependency
> was deprecated and scheduled for removal after 1 month, without any email
> telling me so (the port doesn't have a lot of releases and there isn't any
> release during that "parole" month), and it gets removed after that.  So in
> order to know there is an ongoing deprecation of the port, I as a port
> maintainer would have to either watch the directory for any changes, or
> read all ports-git commit messages or at least a filtered version of it,
> and that's burdensome and inefficient use of developer time at best.

> What I would love to see happen is that, when a port gets marked as
> DEPRECATED, there is an automated system that sends me notification with
> something like:

> ACTION REQUESTED: X new ports you maintain is marked as DEPRECATED

[...]

> and that email gets sent every 7 days until the port is removed or the
> issue is fixed.  Or a bug is created and assigned to the maintainer, etc.

Alternately, you could just create a periodic batch on your own machine
to do that check on the ports you maintain.

The tool I mentioned in the neighboring "Port tree linter" thread can do
that for you with the following command:

$ portstreelint -hu -mdelphij@freebsd.org  2> /dev/null

It would check BROKEN, FORBIDDEN, IGNORE (poorly) and DEPRECATED marks,
as well as vulnerabilities reported in VuXML (in the version I will
upload tomorrow) and many other things, automatically on your 31 ports.

Best regards,

Hubert