Re: Re: Call for help: moving manpages to share/man

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:50:31 UTC
On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 03:34:38PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Gleb Popov:
>
> > > Well, now it blocks contributors that don't have a GitHub account
> > > from being able to request a pull. :-)
> >
> > How would you request a pull when using FreeBSD git repo?
>
> You wouldn't, but committers could directly commit to the branch.
>
> Basically it's a question of whether collaborative work on a temporary
> branch--something that will come up again, I'm sure--can be
> accomplished inside the FreeBSD infrastructure or whether it requires
> access to an external forge.

I am not in the working group for collaborative work on FreeBSD infrastructure,
So I cannot help on this, to know where people in there are aiming at.

That said git is decentralized by nature so do not require forge A or B to be
usable.

while the pull request UI on github, gitlab, codeberg etc are convenient, there
are multiple mechanism available for anyone to share his work:

git send-email: your patches can be sent out directly to hum is willing to
receive them, so you can send this way to Gleb is needed.

provide your own git link to the requester of the patches, so Gleb can add a
remote to his setup and incorporate your changes (If I remember correctly
Christian you have a codeberg account, so that may work), this link could be
self hosted or any public git providers.

Best regards,
Bapt