Re: Subpackages: Update

From: Dan Langille <dan_at_langille.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:21:55 UTC
On Thu, Feb 8, 2024, at 4:44 PM, Luca Pizzamiglio wrote:
> Hi FreeBSD porters.
>
> Here are some updates about subpackages.
>
> At the moment, subpackages adoption is *on hold*, as a few annoying issues have been identified and they need some time to be fixed.
> A bug about optional dependencies for subpackages has already been fixed <https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/Mk?id=064923481f420136c46895d1047344c580be3c25> (OPT_*_DEPENDS.subpkg was not detected correctly)
>
> The main blockers are:
> * `make describe` is not subpackages aware. A fix is in review, but not yet ready to land. This is also breaking INDEX.
> * `make install` doesn't allow for partial installation. A patch is ready and in review (https://reviews.freebsd.org/D43789) to address it (in reference to previous email threads)
> * poudriere forces the rebuild of subpackages dependency. A PR is open and we hope to find a solution soon.
> Additionally, `USES.subpkg` doesn't work properly at the moment: dependencies (LIB and RUN) are linked to the main package, instead of the subpackage.
>
> Because of those issues, some subpackage commits have also been *reverted*, waiting for the fixes to land, before being committed back.
>
> If you are thinking of adopting subpackages, *please wait* until things get fixed.
> Once those fixes are out and the situation gets more stable, we will focus on the *documentation*.

I'm thinking about this from a FreshPorts point of view. With respect to subpackages, what will people want to see on the page for a given port?

* list subpackages for this port? how do I get a list of subpackages for a port? make -V SUBPACKAGES ?
* list of packages built by this port (I'm guessing packages.yaml will point back to the port)
* is there any other information thought to be relevant to have on the page?

re: https://github.com/FreshPorts/freshports/issues/544
--
  Dan Langille
  dan@langille.org