Re: Why is the BSD 1-Clause License not supported "out of the box" on FreeBSD?

From: Chris <portmaster_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:34:22 UTC
On 2024-04-12 09:25, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 11:48:16PM -0700, Chris wrote:
>> I'm doing a full sweep of ports missing LICENSE and I continue
>> to have to jump through additional hurdles to represent the
>> BSD 1-Clause License in ports that use it. This has been puzzling
>> be for some time. So I'm asking. Why isn't it represented in
>> Mk/bsdlicenses.db.mk along with all the other BSD/MIT licenses?
>> Is there something in it that doesn't agree with the Foundations
>> policies? I've read the License Guide[1]. It's listed as OSI
>> approved[2] and it has an SPDX-License-Identifier[3]. Is this an
>> appropriate place to ask this question? Or is this something I
>> need to direct to core@ ?
>
> It's uncommon (being AFACT an overly verbose version of MIT) so no one
> added it?
It appears to be terse as compared to 2,3-clause && MIT.

> Why not submit a patch instead of assuming a conspiracy?
Conspiracy? I don't follow. I'm just curious. As every other n-clause version
is in the bsdlicenses.db.mk file. It just figured, there must be something
wrong with the one-clause. I guess I'll whip up a patch.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Brooks.

--
--Chris Hutchinson