Re: dns/bind916 builds rust unexpectedly

From: Dan Mahoney <freebsd_at_gushi.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 00:58:11 UTC

> On Sep 25, 2023, at 18:23, Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2023, Mark Millard wrote:
>> ... it takes so long to build (and distribute) the 30,000+
>> packages (or any large incremental subset or subset that
>> involves huge builds) that a fair number ports have had
>> updates before the distribution completes and starts being
>
> Even just getting the ports tree updated can take days (or more) even
> after vulnerabilities are patched.

Let's assume for most systems, you're dealing with a quarterly ports tree, and thus a quarterly pkg tree.  If you're using a -current ports tree, all bets are off, but portsnap (in base) should qualify you for this.

> Take bind9 for example.  We use Poudriere for most updates but not bind9
> as it often should be patched as soon as updates are are available.  If
> you wait for gitup or Poudriere to pull a new Makefile, even with
> nothing more than a new version string, it can take days (2 or 3 days
> for the most recent patch).  It's not an issue here as we a) edit the
> Makefile to specify the current version, b) make makesum, c) make sure
> the build does not use python (by manually editing the port's options
> file, d) make package and e) pkg install (or update), which takes
> maybe 10 minutes.

This was my precise reason for setting up poudriere to keep building a constant set of quarterly builds -- even if we don't use them at all.  By default, we stick with the base packages, but we want to be able to mode-switch over, in the event we have a critical patch we need to apply.

-Dan