Re: lang/perl5.36: update procedure written in UPDATING is not enough

From: Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon_at_dec.sakura.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 07:23:15 UTC
On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 07:49:51 +0200 (CEST)
freebsd@oldach.net (Helge Oldach) wrote:

> Tatsuki Makino wrote on Sat, 21 Oct 2023 05:39:27 +0200 (CEST):
> > The default version of perl has been switched, have you been able to keep up? :)
> > Updating according to the procedure written in UPDATING is sufficient to avoid the trouble of not finding the library when perl is executed.
> > However, it has not moved the files installed according to the old version number.
>
> Indeed 20181213 is incomplete; I usually run something like
>
> portupgrade -f `pkg query %ro-%rv lang/perl5.28`
>
> instead of the pkg shlib example.
>
> Kind regards
> Helge

Usually, I run `portupgrade -m 'DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes' -f p5-\*`
between the 2 steps for portupgade.

In addition, add " -m 'DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes'" for the last step.
Addig this option avoids fallouts because of "marked as vulnerable".

To be more paranoids, run it without " -m
'DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes'", and with " -m
'DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes' -n" to find fallouts, and then confirm
they are really needed, deinstall now-unneeded ones, finally run with "
-m 'DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes'" for vulnerable but really needed ones.

And I think `pkg shlib` method is better, as `pkg query` method can
cause fallouts by missing explicit dependencies.
Not 100% sure, though, but IIRC, when the `pkg shlib` method is
first introduced in UPDATING, I tried legacy method first and `pkg
shlib` method next, and some more fallouts was rebuilt.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>