Re: graphics/podofo: 0.10.x requirement

From: Po-Chuan Hsieh <sunpoet_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 11:24:42 UTC
Hello,

On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 11:18 PM Guido Falsi <madpilot@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 26/05/23 17:13, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As the maintainer of the calibre port, while trying to update to 6.18.x
> >> I've discovered that now calibre requires the new API/ABI incompatible
> >> podofo 0.10 version.
> >>
> >> I also guess that other ports will also grow such requirements in the
> >> future.
> >>
> >> So my question, both general and to the sunpoet as podofo maintainer,
> >> is, how should we address this?
> >>
> >> Also, is this already being addressed, maybe?
> >>
> >> We can't simply update graphics/podofo, obviously (all dependent ports
> >> would brake).
> >>
> >> Plan 1 - My first idea is creating a graphics/podofo10 port that can be
> >> installed in parallel with graphics/podofo (by changing the name of
> >> every file installed that conflicts), so that ports moving to the newer
> >> library can be patched to use the newer one.
> >
> > That's how it is done for other dependencies in other ports sometimes.
> >
> > netbox and gitlab often have such cases.

I believe that netbox is not this case, at least slightly different.
It's not old/new versions but LTS/non-LTS versions.
The ports with py-django- prefix follow the LTS version.
And we add djXX- prefix to non-LTS versions, e.g. py-dj{40,41}-.
When the new LTS django comes out, kai@ will update py-django-* ports.

Regarding gitlab, I guess you mean rubygem ports, I keep rubygem ports
mostly the way as plan 2.
In most cases, the port without suffix is the latest version and ports with
suffix are older versions.

> >> plan 2 - Another option is doing the same as above, but my updating
> >> podofo to the latest version and moving old 0.9.x to a graphics/podofo09
> >> (or whatever) port, updating all dependencies to use the older port for
> now.
> >
> > Also fine.

I'd like to choose plan 2.

> Suspected that, I'm also waiting for sunpoet (as podofo maintainer)
> opinion. Maybe he also already has a plan or is working on something
> that I don't know about.

Guido, do you have a patch for podofo and calibre already?
Since podofo has only 5 dependent ports, it should be possible to test them
all with podofo (0.10.0) and move incompatible ones to podofo09.