Re: Problem with the package builds

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 05:01:38 UTC
On Sun, Jul 9, 2023 at 7:14 PM Tatsuki Makino <tatsuki_makino@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote on 2023/07/10 09:52:
> > only completed 459 packages, a rate of 10 packages/hour and, if it
> > continues at this rate, will not complete for about 40 days. Nt sure if
>
> The numbers in that area are meaningless :)
> For example, the following two
>
> poudriere bulk -j ... -C devel/llvm15 lang/gcc12 lang/rust
> poudriere bulk -j ... -z somethingrandom -C x11-fonts/xorg-fonts
>
> The top line is outrageously evil, and the bottom line hits a ridiculous
> number. :)

Indeed, those are extreme examples, but this is a build of 9514 packages
that include  a fairly random mix of all ports. This build should normally
take between 50 and 70 hours. A build of all packages ran 90 hours starting
back on June 22. A more typical build of 11111 packages took 52 hours. The
current build continues at 10 packages an hour after almost 52 hours.

Two facts clearly indicate that something is wrong: After 52 hours, when a
build of this size of random packages should be close to finished, it has
only completed 486, and almost all package build are getting dependencies.
After a couple of yours, it is very unusual to see more than 4 jails in
*-depends states. Right now, 9 jails are in lib-depends and 4 in
build-depends. None are actually building the port.

I have been monitoring the builds of amd64 builds for at least two years
and this is way outside of the norm. It continues to build packages at a
rate of 10 per hour which would still mean that the build will not complete
until late August. I guess I could go do a statistical analysis, but it is
way beyond the need for that.

I'm sorry, but this is clearly broken. Can't say whether it is hardware or
software, but the numbers have moved far beyond reasonable.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com