Re: clang-tidy not part of base

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 14:14:09 UTC
On 8 Jul 2023, at 14:38, Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Recently deskutils/treesheets upstream introduced clang-tidy to cmake:
> ---
> set(CMAKE_CXX_CLANG_TIDY clang-tidy -checks=cppcoreguidelines-*,clang-analyzer-*,readability-*,performance-*,portability-*,concurrency-*,modernize-*)
> ---
> https://github.com/aardappel/treesheets/blob/9131048804169c448ba61900935ff04acfb1e279/CMakeLists.txt#L63C13-L63C13
>
> This causing build to fail because clang-tidy is not found.
> What I found is that 13 and 14 doesn't ship this program but it is available as clang-tidy{13,15} from llvm ports.

Theoretically we could import clang-tidy into base, at least the parts that don't use Python, but it is better left in the llvm ports.

> As workaround I comment it out.
> Any sugestions on what to do, what to say to upstream?
>
> Should this be a cmake debug option?

I guess that clang-tidy is used by the upstream maintainers, for cleaning up the source, but it is of no use to ports builders or package end-users.

For the short term, I would simply comment it out. I would inform upstream that this can be problematic, and maybe put it under some sort of "enable-maintainer-mode" option?

-Dimitry