Re: Is the ZPOOL option broken in poudriere?

From: Mathieu Arnold <mat_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:12:05 UTC
On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 03:03:02AM -0800, Yuri wrote:
> I think I figured this out.
>

> The ZPOOL variable was changed several times in the past.
>
> Poudriere operates by creating ZFS datasets.
>
> These datasets are mounted at different points under /usr/local/poudriere,
> and such mounts are persistent, and re-created during ZFS initialization.
>
> When ZPOOL is changed, the old datasets become invalid and should be
> removed.
>
> The question is: who should remove them? The current answer appears to be:
> nobody removes them.
>
> poudriere just reuses the invalid datasets that are mounted on the ZFS pools
> that aren't currently configured to use poudriere.
>
> So I think that some sort of confusion related to the invalid datasets
> caused the original issue for me.
>
> The problem is gone once I deleted all poudriere-related datasets by hand.

I don't really understand what you are complaining about.

poudriere has a data directory, it is in a variable named ZPOOL.
You changed that data directory, poudriere is then half broken. Ok,
seems right.

I am quite sure that most software that have a datadir, like, most
games, if you change the datadir mid flight and not move stuff yourself,
those software will be half broken too.

--
Mathieu Arnold