Reviving net-mgmt/observium

From: Patrick M. Hausen <hausen_at_punkt.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:13:04 UTC
Hi all,

I just installed Observium community edition manually because the
port is orphaned and grossly outdated. It also suffers from a fundamental
problem - the former maintainer decided to decouple the port version from
the Observium version and use the "latest.tar.gz" download link provided
by the project.

Of course that breaks every time a new community edition is published.

I checked with the Observium folks on their Discord - they do provide
versioned stable download links. So that can be considered solved.

The real question I am asking is: is it ok to install everything into
/usr/local/observium similar to Apache Solr, OpenJDK etc.?

Alternatively one could "rip it apart" and try to separate e.g. the web frontend
files into /usr/local/www/observium, the executables into /usr/local/libexec, etc.

I would very much prefer the former (everything in one directory). If that is still
acceptable I can promise continued maintenance and timely updates in return ;-)

Comments?

Thanks and kind regards,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH
Patrick M. Hausen

Sophienstr. 187
76185 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 9109500

https://infrastructure.punkt.de
info@punkt.de

AG Mannheim 108285
Geschäftsführer: Daniel Lienert, Fabian Stein