Re: Building a Linuxulator userland from source

From: Trenton Schulz <trenton_at_norwegianrockcat.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:22:45 UTC
Felix Palmen <zirias@freebsd.org> writes:

> * Trenton Schulz <trenton@norwegianrockcat.com> [20230822
> 12:55]:
>> This is really fascinating work, and I see value in this even
>> if some other
>> way of doing things eventually replaces the Centos-7 items.
>
> Thanks a lot!

No problem. Having been struggling with some cross-compiling
issues at work, this hits home. :-)

>> Some of this has a bit of overlap with Gentoo prefix
>> (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix), where one puts
>> the bare bones
>> of a Gentoo distro under a "prefix" (for example,
>> /compat/linux), but then
>> you can use Gentoo's portage infrastructure to build the other
>> parts of the
>> system.
>
> Hm, kind of interesting project ;) well sure, might be another
> source to
> look at when hitting some weird issues. But using "portage" IMHO
> wouldn't make much sense, we already have our ports system ;)

Yes, yes. I guess this was more for hitting weird issues or
another way for getting the Linux userland. When I have to do
anything some GUI app in the Linuxulator, it's a struggle to track
down all those extra libraries. Then, I start to think, I should
make a "port for this", but by then, I have forgot to keep track
off all the RPMs, plus I have it working on the one system I need
it on, and then I move onto something else. (Master PDF Editor has
been a victim of this a couple of times *sigh*).

In theory, with Gentoo prefix one "emerges" them out of the
prefix. Of course, the ports tree could easily do this too, but I
just thought you might be able to borrow some things out of
portage.

Regardless, I'm really interested in how this turns out, so I
think I'll just get back to watching and wishing you luck.

>> I imagine, you are maybe thinking of your own set of linux-* in
>> the ports
>> tree, but this might also be useful area to borrow from?
>>
>> Anyway, I'll lurk back into the shadows to see how this
>> develops.
>
> Well, I guess it'll take me a few days to stabilize stuff and a
> few
> *more* days to create some helpful USING for it ... but then,
> I'll try
> to build some additional libs and find some proof of concept of
> some
> Linux binary (closed-source?) working on it. That's the rough
> plan ... I
> have some hopes ;)

Again, good luck! I guess Master PDF Editor could be a candidate
for a closed source binary (I have made it work before in the
regular Linuxulator, but don't use it now).

Best regards,

--
Trenton