Re: Building a Linuxulator userland from source

From: Felix Palmen <zirias_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:59:54 UTC
* Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> [20230818 18:17]:
> But if I have understood well,do you want to change the userland and you
> are sure to reach a better linux compatibility? I don't think you will be
> able to. The linuxulator is not perfect because it is bugged at a "low"
> level. Changing the userland it will remain bugged.

Ok, let's get this straight ...

1.) If you think "linuxulator is bugged at a 'low' level", whatever this
should mean, then please be specific about it, but please do so where it
is on topic, e.g. in a PR on bugzilla.

2.) A very frequent issue when trying to run some Linux binary on
FreeBSD is that shared libs are either missing or too old (which is btw
why many people resort to installing some other dist in some Linux jail
instead of using the linux-c7 ports). So, *of course* a newer userland
will fix this. The uncertainty here is just whether it can be a feasible
approach to build this userland from source. Ongoing research.

Cheers, Felix

--
 Felix Palmen <zirias@FreeBSD.org>     {private}   felix@palmen-it.de
 -- ports committer --                     {web}  http://palmen-it.de