Re: New Port Submission Issue

From: Steven Stallion <sstallion_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:34:59 UTC
On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 2:32 AM Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I'll certainly do that.  Give me a little while to run some tests:
> should be able to get this into the ports today.  This bug report wasn't
> actually picked up by anyone with any agency to commit anything: the
> auto assignment to freebsd-ports-bugs@ just causes e-mails to go to a
> mailing list in the hope of attracting the attention of a committer.

Ah, that makes sense! For what it's worth, I'm more than happy to act
as maintainer for this package.

> One thing on initial read through of the code: why are you limiting this
> to FreeBSD 13 or above?  I can't see anything obvious that would stop
> this working on FreeBSD 12, but that could just be me being blind.

No worries. This is essentially a drop-in replacement for update_motd,
so it relies on /var/run/motd versus /etc/motd. As controversial as
that change was, I didn't want to muddy the waters further.

Cheers,
Steve