Re: built with gcc without gcc, can't get it!

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III <mirror176_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 23:11:40 UTC
On 9/26/22 18:10, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed something strange about deskutils/copyq that I can't
> understand and where is the problem so I can talk with upstream.
> It builds with clang, no gcc present and it links to libgcc_s.so.1.
> I've tested qt5 and qt6 flavors in 123{amd64,i386}, 131amd64 and 140amd64
> with same results.
>
> (full log
> <https://people.freebsd.org/~eduardo/logs/copyq/131amd64_copyq-qt5-6.3.2.log>
> )

> (...)
>   0x0000000000000001 NEEDED               Shared library: [*libgcc_s.so.1*]
> ----

> Any hints? The most strange is from where is "Shared library: [
> *libgcc_s.so.1*]" comes?

   If you run ldd on the full path to the binary, it should give the
path to the library; was it /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 ? That is a library
provided from FreeBSD's base system. My little understanding of it
mentions it had to do with trying to get things working when migrating
form gcc to clang as can be learned at
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/libgcc_linking_problem .
   I do not know of a good way to track library connections across
dependencies. Perhaps a poudriere build with a jail just for this from
scratch or at least forcing all dependencies to rebuild at the same time
may help get a more thorough searchable log set or moving this library
out of the way temporarily to watch such a build for its failures that
result. I'd be interested in how to better understand library linking
and loading but I'm not there yet.