Re: [HEADSUP] Deprecation of the ftp support in pkg

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 08:09:38 UTC
22 janv. 2022 08:47:57 Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>:

> On 2022-01-21 23:31, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>> 22 janv. 2022 08:25:47 Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>:
>>> Must be a stupid question. But I'll ask anyway; Why the effort to start removing transports?
>> Because maintaining ftp has a cost, number of line of code, user support etc.
>> if you have a strong reason to use ftp which
>>> Local repos.
>>> ftp(1) is cheap. Other transports are (usually) more expensive.
>>>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply.
>
>> ssh which is supported is as cheap if not cheaper.
> Technically that's incorrect. But as I see you've also rejected 2 other requests. It's
> clear that this topic is not actually up for debate. So I'll say no more on the subject.
>> Bapt
> -- Chris

It is up for debate, I have been told we need something in base to which I replied ssh is in base, so fill that requirement, you have said it is cheap no explaining what you call cheap, I say ssh is cheap as well as in not more complicated to configure, provide a path and here we are.

You asked the reason for the removal I explained them, if ftp was free of cost I won t care about keeping it.

So up to now noone gave an detailed argument in favour of ftp, which ssh or other transport cannot provide as well.

Bapt